The Blount Family
Sir Walter Blount inherited the main manor of Colton through his wife, Mary Aston, in 1770. The Blount family had their main family seat at Mawley Hall in Soddington, Worcestershire.
This family could trace their ancestry back to a lord in the service of William at the Conquest. They numbered amongst their ancestors "that warlike Blount" mentioned by Shakespeare in Henry IV as a brave opponent of Hotspur.
After her husband's death Mary, Lady Blount, lived at Bellamour in Colton and in 1796, she had a larger house built close to the first one for her second son Edward. The Blount's were a Catholic family at a time when Catholics could not practice their faith openly. Therefore included in the building was a chapel so that the family could practice their faith in secret. Some of Edward's children are recorded as being baptised there.
Mary is seen here on the left in this picture.
She died a terrible death in 1805 whilst staying with her son, burnt to death when her dress caught fire. Her son Edward Blount continued to live in Colton until he sold the property in 1824.
|More People of Note|
|The DeWasteney Family
Lords of the Manor of Colton until the 14th. Century. (click here)
|The Aston Family
Lords of the Manor from the 17th.-18th. Century. Lord Aston an important courtier. (click here)
|The Blount Family
Lords of the Manor into the 18th.& 19th. Century. (click here)
|The Boughey Family
Their allegiance to their faith caused them great hardship in the 17th. Century. (click here)
|John Heyliger Burt
18th Century owner of Colton House and plantations in the West Indies. (click here)
Victorian Explorer, botanist and distinguished photographer. (click here)
|Rev. F. P. Parker
Rector of Colton and important Staffordshire Antiquinarian. (click here)
|The Bagot Family
Lords of the smaller Colton Manor until the 20th. Century. (click here)