Link to Home Page   Link to Home page Link to Society page Link to Events page Link to Publications page Link to Videos page Link to News page Link to Links page Link to Contact page Link to wiki page Link to timeline page Link to parish database page
Link to Sickness and Health theme
Link to People of Note theme
Link to History of the Village theme
Link to Religion theme
Link to Buildings of Note theme
Link to Maps theme
Link to Education and Employment

© Colton History Society
2004 - 2014

Site development and support: Alphatronica Ltd
Education and Employment

Steam Comes to Colton

The Act of Parliament for the construction of the 'Trent Valley Railway' was passed in July 1845. Sir Robert Peel M.P. was the chief promoter and cut the first sod at Tamworth in November 1845. The engineer was Robert Stephenson (son of George) and his assistant was George Bidden. The contractor was Thomas Brassey. The line partially opened early in 1847and by December 1847 was fully open from Rugby to Stafford. At this time all the railway companies in the country adopted Greenwich Mean Time.

The land owners in Colton gave their full support for the construction of the line. The station built in Colton Parish was for many years known in timetables as Rugeley Junction.

Image: picture of steam engine in station

The line to Walsall opened in November 1859. Eventually to prevent confusion with Rugeley's station on the Walsall line, the station at Colton became Rugeley Trent Valley in April 1917.

During World War I the station was frequently used by troops who would march to or from camps on Cannock Chase. R.A.F. personnel also used it in World War II to get to their camp at Brindley Heath. Many Colton residents used it to get to and from work and also some youngsters to get to school. Some Colton residents found work both at the station in the large goods department and on the trains.

The station building was taken down in 1972 when the station became unstaffed. It is still on the main London line and although the service to Walsall and Stafford was for some years axed, it was restored in the 1990's due to public pressure.

Image: picture of steam engine on tracks of busy junction

With acknowledgement to the Bradbury family for supplying research information and pictures.


More about Education & Employment

  A History of Education in Colton
An account of the various schools that have been established in Colton.
(click here)
  Extracts from the Log Book of St. Mary's School
Many school memories going back to 1864. (click here)
  Employment in Colton
How people have earned a living in Colton through the ages. (click here)
  Farming in Colton
Farming practices in Colton through the ages. (click here)
  Medieval Glassmaking in and Around Colton
The evidence we have of this occupation. (click here)
  The Mills at Colton
An account of the mills that once served Colton. (click here)
  Steam Comes Through Colton
How Colton people found work on the railway. (click here)
  The Canal comes to Colton
Local employment on the canal including the account of a murder! (click here)