Link to Home Page   Link to Home page Link to Society page Link to Events page Link to Publications page Link to Videos page Link to News page Link to Links page Link to Contact page Link to wiki page Link to timeline page Link to parish database page
Link to Sickness and Health theme
Link to People of Note theme
Link to History of the Village theme
Link to Religion theme
Link to Buildings of Note theme
Link to Maps theme
Link to Education and Employment
 

© Colton History Society
2004 - 2008


Site development and support: Alphatronica Ltd
Buildings of Note

The Old Rectory

Colton Old Rectory (picture courtesy of Dorothy Bradbury)

Colton Old Rectory (picture courtesy of Dorothy Bradbury).

The home for the Rector of St. Mary's Church, had for many years been on the west side of the church very close to the stream and next to the tithe barn. This house was built on damp and low lying land and not conducive to the good health of its occupants.

At the beginning of the 19th. century the then Rector, Rev. John Landor complained bitterly about this unhealthy environment for his family and maintained it had caused the death of 7 of his children. The Landors, a prosperous Rugeley family with land also in Colton, had presented to the living and been Rectors in Colton since 1767. The family therefore in the 19th. century decided to finance the building of a new rectory (now known as The Old Rectory) on the east side of church away from Moreton Brook.

The house was made bigger in 1875 and John Landor was succeeded by his nephew Charles Savage Landor, brother of the poet Walter Savage Landor. Upon his death he was succeeded by Rev. Abdail Seaton in 1849.

The Rectory was a large house which was fortunate because the Rev. Abdail Seaton brought up a family of thirteen children there! It was whilst he was Rector that the rebuilding of the church took place.

On the death of Abdail Seaton the new Rector was Frederick Parker and it was whilst he lived in the Rectory from 1874 to 1921 that he spent his time writing an extensive history of Colton based on his researches as a founder member of the William Salt Library in Stafford.

This house was home to the Rectors of Colton until the beginning of the 1970's when it was decided by the church that it was too big and costly to run in the 20th. Century. It was therefore sold as a private house and a new Rectory was built back on the west side of the church next to Moreton Brook!

 

More Buildings of Note

  Bellamour Hall
Home to the Lords of the Manor from the late 17th -20th.Centuries. (click here)
  Bellamour Lodge
A 19th century grace & favour house! (click here)
  The Old Rectory
Built in the 19th. Century for the Rector to keep dry!. (click here)
  St. Mary's Church
Late 12th. Century-the oldest building in Colton. (click here)
  Boughey Hall Farm
A farm with a long, long history. (click here)
  Colton Hall
Home to our most famous historical inhabitant-Lord Walter Aston. (click here)
  The Malt House
One of the oldest houses still being used as a home. (click here)
  Little Hay Manor
The smaller Manor in Colton belonging to the Bagot Family. (click here)
  Colton House
The smaller Manor in Colton belonging to the Bagot Family. (click here)