Link to Home Page   Link to Home page Link to Society page Link to Events page Link to Publications page Link to Videos page Link to News page Link to Links page Link to Contact page Link to wiki page Link to timeline page Link to parish database page
Link to Sickness and Health theme
Link to People of Note theme
Link to History of the Village theme
Link to Religion theme
Link to Buildings of Note theme
Link to Maps theme
Link to Education and Employment
 

© Colton History Society
2004 - 2008


Site development and support: Alphatronica Ltd
Buildings of Note

Colton House

Picture of Colton House

It is not known who built Colton House but the Queen Anne style is of the early part of the 18th. century. There is a possibility that where the present house stands is the site of the original main Colton Manor house recorded as belonging to Azeline in the Domesday record. Its proximity to the church would make this a reasonable supposition. 

The present house has a fascinating history. We know that a William Pigott, a gentleman who kept harriers, lived there in the 1770's and Lady Blount of Bellamour Hall occupied it whilst the new Bellamour Hall was being built in the late 18th. century.

In 1795 a merchant who had sugar plantations in the West Indies owned it. He died when his ship disappeared on a voyage back from St Croix in the West Indies. 

In the 1851 census records for Colton, a boy's school for boarders is being run at Colton House by a Mr. Mills. There were 18 boarders living in the house at that time but it cannot have lasted for long because they are not there at the next census. One wonders if it was the sort of boys school that was made famous by Charles Dickens in his classic story Nicholas Nickleby!

Perhaps its most celebrated occupant came there in the 1890's - Frederic Bonney. Bonney had been born in Rugeley but as a young man had gone out to work with his elder brother in Australia. He worked in the region north of Adelaide where the pastoralists had established huge sheep stations. He was a keen photographer and in his 20 or so years living and working there, he took many photographs particularly of the Aborigines but also of the settlers and places around him. He also took notes about the customs and practices of the Aborigines. Upon his death his family deposited his collection with the museum of Australia in Sydney. His photographs and notes were acknowledged as some of the earliest and most informative of that period and formed the basis of educational textbooks on the subject for many new young Australians.

On his return to England he tenanted Colton House for a number of years. He was a keen gardener as well as a photographer. Across the road from the house he created an arboretum around the lakes that used to be opposite the house. Some of the trees he planted can still be seen. He also created a garden to the side of the house. He continued with his photography and took many beautiful photographs of Colton and its residents and events happening at the time. We still have some of these and are an important visual record of life in Colton village at the end of the 19th. century.

In the World War II the army occupied Colton House and did not treat it kindly! After the war the house was converted into 6 flats and some of the people in the village have lived there . In the early 1970's it was bought by a developer who stripped it of lots of its finer features, built houses in its courtyard and sold a substantial part of its gardens. In the mid 1970's it was bought by its present owners and is slowly being lovingly and carefully restored to its former glory!

 

More Buildings of Note

  Bellamour Hall
Home to the Lords of the Manor from the late 17th -20th.Centuries. (click here)
  Bellamour Lodge
A 19th century grace & favour house! (click here)
  The Old Rectory
Built in the 19th. Century for the Rector to keep dry!. (click here)
  St. Mary's Church
Late 12th. Century-the oldest building in Colton. (click here)
  Boughey Hall Farm
A farm with a long, long history. (click here)
  Colton Hall
Home to our most famous historical inhabitant-Lord Walter Aston. (click here)
  The Malt House
One of the oldest houses still being used as a home. (click here)
  Little Hay Manor
The smaller Manor in Colton belonging to the Bagot Family. (click here)
  Colton House
The smaller Manor in Colton belonging to the Bagot Family. (click here)