Link to Home Page   Link to Home page Link to Society page Link to Events page Link to Publications page Link to Videos page Link to News page Link to Links page Link to Contact page Link to wiki page Link to timeline page Link to parish database page
Link to Sickness and Health theme
Link to People of Note theme
Link to History of the Village theme
Link to Religion theme
Link to Buildings of Note theme
Link to Maps theme
Link to Education and Employment
 

© Colton History Society
2004 - 2008


Site development and support: Alphatronica Ltd
Buildings of Note

Colton Hall

The site now occupied by Colton Hall Farm was until the mid 17th. century where the main Manor house for the Lord of Colton Manor was situated . Unfortunately there is now nothing to see of these ancient buildings that stood on the site throughout this period but we do have some written evidence of what was there.

The Manor House site was on a hill a little distance away from the village itself . We know that this manor was occupied by the DeWasteney family shortly after the Conquest. We know that there was a mill down on the river and some time in the 13th. century a deer park was established.

The first evidence we have of an actual house is in the 17th. century. The manor and hall passed by marriage into the Gresley family in the 14th. century and was sold eventually in 1610 to a relative, Sir Walter Aston of Tixall for the sum of £16,000 - a large amount for those days. We have documentary evidence from a contemporary of Sir Walter-Sampson Erdswicke who wrote the first history of Staffordshire in the early 17th. Century, as to what the house looked like. He states that the ancient house was of considerable size. It was reputed" to contain 80 rooms, 52 according to tradition were lodgings" (Erdswicke).

Sir Walter Aston was a man of great distinction in the royal court being the Ambassador to Spain for James 1 and would require properties with prestige to befit his position. He also owned close by Tixall Hall but spent quite a lot of the time when he was not in Spain, at Colton. It was whilst he was living there that he was created Lord Aston of Forfar for his services to the crown. Younger family members often resided there in his absence. It appears to have been surrounded by park land evidence of which we have from field names going down towards the nearby River Trent.

This house burnt down sometime in the 1640's reputedly due to the carelessness of a servant. This leads us to believe that it was a substantial timbered manor house possibly on stone foundations. There is no evidence of a moat. All there is now is a raised area in front of the present buildings which suggests it was the site of this hall.

A job for Time Team perhaps!

Ref. Sampson Erdswicke A History of Staffordshire

 

More Buildings of Note

  Bellamour Hall
Home to the Lords of the Manor from the late 17th -20th.Centuries. (click here)
  Bellamour Lodge
A 19th century grace & favour house! (click here)
  The Old Rectory
Built in the 19th. Century for the Rector to keep dry!. (click here)
  St. Mary's Church
Late 12th. Century-the oldest building in Colton. (click here)
  Boughey Hall Farm
A farm with a long, long history. (click here)
  Colton Hall
Home to our most famous historical inhabitant-Lord Walter Aston. (click here)
  The Malt House
One of the oldest houses still being used as a home. (click here)
  Little Hay Manor
The smaller Manor in Colton belonging to the Bagot Family. (click here)
  Colton House
The smaller Manor in Colton belonging to the Bagot Family. (click here)