Link to Home Page   Link to Home page Link to Society page Link to Events page Link to Publications page Link to Videos page Link to News page Link to Links page Link to Contact page Link to wiki page Link to timeline page Link to parish database page
Link to Sickness and Health theme
Link to People of Note theme
Link to History of the Village theme
Link to Religion theme
Link to Buildings of Note theme
Link to Maps theme
Link to Education and Employment
 

© Colton History Society
2004 - 2008


Site development and support: Alphatronica Ltd
Buildings of Note

Boughey Hall Farm, dating from 1257

Picture of Boughey Hall Farm

Boughey Hall today is a collection of 18th Century barns converted into houses in the 1990's surrounding the renovated 18th century farm house .

There has been a farm on this site however since around 1257.We have written evidence that the Lords of the Manor of Colton, the DeWasteney family, gave this area of land in Colton to St. Thomas's Priory in Stafford. This was a common practice by the manorial lords in those days. They believed that bequests to the clergy in this case the Augustinian order, would help buy them a better passage into heaven! This site at Colton appears to have become a Grange as it is so named in 1284; that is a farm paying all its dues to the Priory.

The ownership of the Colton Grange by the priory came to an end with the dissolution of the monasteries by Henry VIII. In 1539 the Priory and all its lands was given to Bishop Lee of Lichfield by Henry. Upon his death the Colton Grange passed to his nephew George Fowler. Not long after George Fowler sold it to Sampson Boughey from a north Staffordshire family based around Audley. They gave the farm its present name.

The farm passed through three generations from Sampson to his son George and then to his son Sampson. In 1658 the then Sampson died leaving no male heirs and his five daughters inherited the farm between them. The youngest daughter Constance married Whitehall Degge in 1664, the son of a local well known dignitary Sir Simon Degge. Together they bought out the other sisters so that Constance owned Boughey Hall Farm in total. Shortly after Whitehall died leaving Constance a widow with one son.

In 1678 Constance remarried. She married Thomas Whitgreave one of the rescuers of Charles II in his flight from Cromwell's forces. With this marriage the farm passed into the Whitgreave family estates and she ceased living at Boughey Hall Farm moving instead to his house Moseley Old Hall. 

The farm stayed with the Whitgreave family until its sale in 1923. During their ownership it was tenanted by various people, a number of whom made considerable contributions to the life of the village both in service and financially. William Spencer for instance left a legacy for the school children in the early 19th. century.

From 1923 the farm changed hands two or three times until finally in the latter half of the 1990's it was bought and converted into separate dwellings. Whilst the main house was undergoing renovation, much more evidence of an earlier house, probably the house from Constance's day, was found inside the present one.

 

More Buildings of Note

  Bellamour Hall
Home to the Lords of the Manor from the late 17th -20th.Centuries. (click here)
  Bellamour Lodge
A 19th century grace & favour house! (click here)
  The Old Rectory
Built in the 19th. Century for the Rector to keep dry!. (click here)
  St. Mary's Church
Late 12th. Century-the oldest building in Colton. (click here)
  Boughey Hall Farm
A farm with a long, long history. (click here)
  Colton Hall
Home to our most famous historical inhabitant-Lord Walter Aston. (click here)
  The Malt House
One of the oldest houses still being used as a home. (click here)
  Little Hay Manor
The smaller Manor in Colton belonging to the Bagot Family. (click here)
  Colton House
The smaller Manor in Colton belonging to the Bagot Family. (click here)