Link to Home Page   Link to Home page Link to Society page Link to Events page Link to Publications page Link to Videos page Link to News page Link to Links page Link to Contact page Link to wiki page Link to timeline page Link to parish database page
Link to Sickness and Health theme
Link to People of Note theme
Link to History of the Village theme
Link to Religion theme
Link to Buildings of Note theme
Link to Maps theme
Link to Education and Employment
 

© Colton History Society
2004 - 2008


Site development and support: Alphatronica Ltd
Buildings of Note

Bellamour Lodge

Picture of Bellamour Lodge

This house was built in the Victorian style in 1851 by James Oldham Oldham, the owner of the Bellamour Estate in Colton, for his unmarried daughter Ellen to live in. Over the years following the house was extended and its gardens were improved to make it one of the grandest houses in Colton. Miss Oldham was a very generous donor to the village. She gave a substantial amount of money towards the renovation of the church and also started a school for the girls of the village in Bellamour Old Hall.

On all the old maps we have of the village it is to be noted that in the grounds of Bellamour Lodge there is reference to a 'chapel yard.' The chapel yard had disappeared but according to Rev. F. Parker in his book 'Colton and the DeWasteney's published in 1879; around 1825 when some workmen were employed digging gravel on this site which is now part of the lawn; they discovered the foundations of an ancient chapel. Along with the traces of the foundations was also unearthed a stone head carving which could possibly have been a corbel. This is now preserved in the village.

Also on the same site a number of human bones were dug up which led Rev. Parker to suggest that this may have indeed been an ancient burial ground. With its proximity to the stream it is possible that this in fact was the site of a burial site from Saxon times because we do know that there was a Priest living in Colton then.

Ellen Oldham died in 1883 and left the house to her sister Elizabeth Harland. Mrs. Harland had the alms houses in Colton built in memory of her sister. She died in 1905 and the house passed to her nephew Charles Oldham. It finally passed out of the Oldham family in 1935; was bought first by the Riley's a shoe manufacturer from Stafford, then a Birmingham business couple, the Morleys. In the late 1940's it was purchased by John Price a former dentist who farmed the land on his death it was sold to the present owners who have carefully restored much of its original elegance.

 

More Buildings of Note

  Bellamour Hall
Home to the Lords of the Manor from the late 17th -20th.Centuries. (click here)
  Bellamour Lodge
A 19th century grace & favour house! (click here)
  The Old Rectory
Built in the 19th. Century for the Rector to keep dry!. (click here)
  St. Mary's Church
Late 12th. Century-the oldest building in Colton. (click here)
  Boughey Hall Farm
A farm with a long, long history. (click here)
  Colton Hall
Home to our most famous historical inhabitant-Lord Walter Aston. (click here)
  The Malt House
One of the oldest houses still being used as a home. (click here)
  Little Hay Manor
The smaller Manor in Colton belonging to the Bagot Family. (click here)
  Colton House
The smaller Manor in Colton belonging to the Bagot Family. (click here)