Link to Home Page   Link to Home page Link to Society page Link to Events page Link to News page Link to Links page Link to Contact page Link to wiki page Link to timeline page Link to parish database page
Link to Sickness and Health theme
Link to People of Note theme
Link to History of the Village theme
Link to Religion theme
Link to Buildings of Note theme
Link to Maps theme
Link to Education and Employment
 

© Colton History Society
2004 - 2008


Site development and support: Alphatronica Ltd
Buildings of Note

Bellamour Hall

Picture of Bellamour Hall

At the turning to Colton village the ruined house on the left hand side is what is left of the first Bellamour Hall built approximately 1635.

Herbert Aston who had been secretary to his father Lord Walter Aston was the second son and therefore did not inherit the main estates at Tixall but was given a small estate in Colton. Friends of the impoverished Herbert, loaned or gave him money to build the house known as 'Bellamore', Italian for 'good love' because of the affection his friends had shown him and to honour his wife. It was in this house that the Popish Plot- a plot that it was claimed was intended to kill the King; was partly hatched in 1679.

Herbert Aston was a Catholic in the time when Catholicism was outlawed in this country and he had allegedly had a hand in the plot made by a group of Catholics. He along with Lord Stafford were incarcerated in the Tower of London. Lord Stafford lost his head before the plot was revealed as a hoax and fortunately for Herbert Aston he was released.

Picture of the second Bellamour Hall

Picture of the second Bellamour Hall

In the following century the house passed by marriage into the Blount family. In 1796 the then widowed Lady Blount had a second bigger hall built for her son Edward close to the first hall and the first hall was let to tenants. In 1824 it was sold to James Oldham Oldham, a retired Indian Judge and then on his death in 1857 to the M.P. for Liverpool Mr. T.B. Horsfall.

He improved and extended the estate creating in the process one of the finest gardens in Staffordshire at that time designed and tended by George Morrall. He also became a great benefactor to the village. He was instrumental in having the school built on land he donated, having the Reading Room built and also gave land for the creating of a cemetery. The second hall was finally sold in 1921 and demolished soon after.

The first hall was stripped and steadily fell into disrepair and is the ruin you see today.

 

More Buildings of Note

  Bellamour Hall
Home to the Lords of the Manor from the late 17th -20th.Centuries. (click here)
  Bellamour Lodge
A 19th century grace & favour house! (click here)
  The Old Rectory
Built in the 19th. Century for the Rector to keep dry!. (click here)
  St. Mary's Church
Late 12th. Century-the oldest building in Colton. (click here)
  Boughey Hall Farm
A farm with a long, long history. (click here)
  Colton Hall
Home to our most famous historical inhabitant-Lord Walter Aston. (click here)
  The Malt House
One of the oldest houses still being used as a home. (click here)
  Little Hay Manor
The smaller Manor in Colton belonging to the Bagot Family. (click here)
  Colton House
The smaller Manor in Colton belonging to the Bagot Family. (click here)